[lit-ideas] Grice's Maxims

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 23:39:17 +0200

Which of these has JL not flouted yet ?Grice's Maxims[edit
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Cooperative_principle&action=edit&section=2>
]Maxim of Quality[edit
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Cooperative_principle&action=edit&section=3>
]

*Supermaxim:*

- *Try to make your contribution one that is true*

*Submaxims:*

1. Do not say what you believe to be false.
2. Do not say that for which you lack adequate evidence
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence>.

Maxim of Quantity[edit
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Cooperative_principle&action=edit&section=4>
]

1. *Make your contribution as informative as is required* (for the
current purposes of the exchange).
2. Do not make your contribution more informative than is required.

Maxim of Relation[edit
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Cooperative_principle&action=edit&section=5>
]

- *Be Relevant*

With respect to this maxim, Grice writes, "Though the maxim itself is
terse, its formulation conceals a number of problems that exercise me a
good deal: questions about what different kinds and focuses of relevance
there may be, how these shift in the course of a talk exchange, how to
allow for the fact that subjects of conversations are legitimately changed,
and so on. I find the treatment of such questions exceedingly difficult,
and I hope to revert to them in later work."[1]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative_principle#cite_note-grice-1>
Maxim of Manner[edit
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Cooperative_principle&action=edit&section=6>
]

*Supermaxim:*

- *Be perspicuous*

*Submaxims:*

1. Avoid obscurity of expression.
2. Avoid ambiguity.
3. Be brief (avoid unnecessary prolixity
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbosity>).
4. Be orderly.