[lit-ideas] Re: Grice's Implicature

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 21:53:36 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 6/27/2012 6:33:41 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:

>  One is that here have yet another example where JLS mistakes what I  have
> written. (Perhaps this tendency is a kind of "implicature" run  riot?)

[Interlude in which I agree with Donal]

JL had  written

>  >I agree with McEvoy that Witters is stuck with a  narrow view on
'naming'>

To which Donal replied

JL nowhere  says what this 'narrow view of naming,' is. If he thinks it's
exhausted by  what's said in §§ 403-10, his understanding of the
Investigations is as  fragile as my understanding of even the _attempted_
proofs of the  Taniyama-Shimura conjecture.

Wittgenstein says this

'13. When we  say: "Every word in language signifies something"
we have so far said  nothing whatever; unless we have explained
exactly what distinction we wish  to make. (It might be, of course, that
we wanted to distinguish the words  of language (8) from words 'without
meaning' such as occur in Lewis  CarrolPs poems, or words like
"Lilliburlero" in songs.)

'14. Imagine  someone's saying: "All tools serve to modify something.
Thus the hammer  modifies the position of the nail, the saw the
shape of the board, and so  on."—And what is modified by the rule, the
glue-pot, the nails?—"Our  knowledge of a thing's length, the temperature
of the glue, and the  solidity of the box."——Would anything be gained by
this assimilation of  expressions?—

'15. The word "to signify" is perhaps used in the most  straightforward
way when the object signified is marked with the sign.  Suppose
that the tools A uses in building bear certain marks. When A shews  his
assistant such a mark, he brings the tool that has that mark on  it.
It is in this and more or less similar ways that a name means and  is
given to a thing.—It will often prove useful in philosophy to say  to
ourselves: naming something is like attaching a label to a  thing.

………………………………………………………

'26. One thinks that learning  language consists in giving names to
objects. Viz, to human beings, to  shapes, to colours, to pains, to
moods, to numbers, etc. . To repeat—naming  is something like
attaching a label to a thing. One can say that this is  preparatory to
the use of a word. But what is it a preparation  _for_?

'27. "We name things and then we can talk about them: can  refer
to them in talk."—As if what we did next were given with the  mere
act of naming. As if there were only one thing called "talking about  a
thing". Whereas in fact we do the most various things with  our
sentences. Think of exclamations alone, with their completely  different
functions.

Water!
Away!
Ow!
Help!
Fine!
No!

'Are  you inclined still to call these words "names of objects"?
In languages (2)  and (8) there was no such thing as asking
something's name. This, with its  correlate, ostensive definition, is, we
might say, a language-game on its  own. That is really to say: we are
brought up, trained, to ask: "What is  that called?"—upon which the
name is given. And there is also a  language-game of inventing a name
for something, and hence of saying, "This  is ... ." and then using the
new name. (Thus, for example, children give  names to their dolls
and then talk about them and to them. Think in this  connexion how
singular is the use of a person's name to call  him!)

_But he does not merely say  this_.

—————————————————————————————————

Part where I disagree  with Donal. In his response to JL, he says

> Far from suggesting W  is stuck with such a narrow view, I simply
> contended that name/naming  as used in PI-410 is used in a narrower sense
> than the sense in which  we might treat most items of language as
> different kinds of names  (e.g. 'running' as the 'name' of an action); I
> did not, partly because  W does not, seek to say what this narrower view
> amounts to: indeed  part of my point is that W is not saying what
> constitutes a 'name' or  naming, or 'I' or 'person', and that this
> reflects the 'key tenet'  which holds it would be futile to try to say
> any such thing.

It  would seem that in the passages above, he is not talking about
anything  which might be called a 'broader or 'narrower' sense of names
or naming. He  gives plenty of examples of naming things (for what that's
worth) and  examines the concept of naming and the practice of naming,
beginning with  an examination of, and notional expansion of, the
'language' of the  Builders, who were introduced in §2, in §7. It would
be safe to say that  this is where his discussion of naming, naming
simples, names in the  Tractatus & so on, begins. It—the discussion_ runs
from there to ca.  §59.

[I don't follow what Donal says next, but I thank him for going to  the
trouble of writing it.]

> And I suggested W, in discussing  the Augustinian picture and what is
> 'wrong' with it, shows he is  open-minded about whether name/naming is to
> be understood in a  narrower or wider way - for W does not suggest that
> what is 'wrong' or  misleading with that picture is that it treats verbs
> as names. His  point against such a picture is not that we cannot treat
> an utterance  such as 'Slab' as a kind of name - perhaps of an object,
> perhaps also  of an action such as fetching a particular object [the
> Tractarian W  might have made such an objection, but not the W of
> Investigations].  W's point cuts deeper and is that, whatever sense is
> given such an  utterance, its sense is never 'contained in/said by' the
> utterance but  depends on much more - a much more that can only be shown
> and not  said.

Where in any of these passages is the sense of an utterance (or  any
other 'proposition') even mentioned.

> This point does not  mean Augustine's picture is false but
> that it is misleading if we take  such a picture as capturing - as in
> saying - how language has a given  sense.

His criticism of Augustine's view is not so much that it's  misleading,
but that it's incomplete. (See the book.) It is, in fact, the  view of
language set out in the Tractatus, stripped down.

Robert  Paul

(My mail has been set to block any messages containing the word  'Grice.')
digest  on/off), visit  www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html