[lit-ideas] Re: Griceian Numbers

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 10:21:50 +0100 (BST)

JLS's post is really to go off on one in a different direction to W and without
much of an argument against W's approach, which it fails to properly get to
grips with.

>Numbers are very difficult items in the philosopher's discourse, and I'm
not surprised that Witters was confused about them. But Ayer seems to make a
good point that:

"Pass me three apples"

is about apples and about three.>

But the later W is dead against treating numbers as "very difficult items in
the philosopher's discourse", and would emphasise they are not difficult items
in most ordinary discourse. His POV is not to pursue a metaphysical account of
numbers but is 'anti-' such a metaphysical account: such philosophical accounts
are attempts to say what cannot be said but only shown [see: the 'key tenet'],
and into the bargain they lose sight of the sense of numbers as they are used.

It is quite clear that most humans can understand "Pass me three apples"
without any need to consider numbers as "very difficult items in the
philosopher's discourse": so what do the philosophers 'of number' think they
are doing or contributing here? Why should "Pass me three apples" be thought of
as being "about apples and about three"? In one way, of course it is "about
apples and about three" but only insofar as these terms are as unproblematic as
they are in "Pass me three apples". But what the "philosopher's discourse"
wants to suggest is that the command/request is "about apples and about three"
in ways that being "about apples and about three" involves knowing their
underlying metaphysical character etc. But, for W, it is only philosophers'
make-believe to suggest this is the case, and already the philosopher of this
sort has gone on a holiday from looking at the actual workings of numbers and
objects in our language. The decisive step in the
 conjuring trick has been made and it was one we thought most innocent.

There is much more to be said to defend W's POV here but suffice it to say it
doesn't cut much ice to applaud Ayer as making a "good point" rather than see
Ayer is making a move - a step that might seem so obvious and harmless - that
may be thought, philosophically, both unwarranted and dangerous if we are to
retain a perspicacious view of the sense of language as it is actually used
(and what other 'sense of  language' should we be concerned with -
"philosopher's discourse"?).

JLS also overlooks that my criticism was not so much of Ayer taking the view
that we need to mark a (metaphysical) distinction between number and object,
but that Ayer's exegesis is mistaken: it is mistaken for Ayer to suggest that
it is W's point to say that the sense of numbers and objects [as in "Pass me
three apples"] must be shown in different ways [because of the different
metaphysical character of numbers and objects]. To attribute this kind of
metaphysical POV to W runs against W's actual POV.

Donal
Who can't fkg believe he's defendg W

On a

Wet Bloomsday