[lit-ideas] Grice to the Mill

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 16:24:51 EDT

Joan Rivers and Gricean Cardinality (Was: Bert Bultinck)

In a message dated 6/22/2009 12:07:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
pastone@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Actually, Joan Rivers turned 76 a couple of weeks  ago.
So, she's 75, 74, 73 etc.
-----

Exactly.

But do.

Any of ye, listers: try and report back.

Mention Joan Rivers in conversation, and then drop, casually, 'and she is
sixty-seven' (or something). People will _scream_ at you. I find it's the
best  intro to Grice (or rather to see how Un-Gricean who you thought your
friends  were can be.

They'll go, "She's not".

Then do try to explain,

"Okay; if you are right, and she is older; that doesn't disprove that she
is, logically, also 67, as I said she was".

R. Paul's example of Henry VIII's marrying _at one fell swoop_ the six
wives is a non-sequitur. Even _then_, we can say that he had five wives, four
wives, ... and possibly that he was single, too.

Cheers,

JL Speranza
   "Logic Above All", in Grice to the Mill.
           -- "Every  sentence is a lesson in logic" (J. S. Mill)

grill. (http://food.aol.com/grilling?ncid=emlcntusfood00000004)