[lit-ideas] Grice on Ill-Will

  • From: jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 22:29:48 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, May 7, 2010 3:10 pm
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Man marries his cat
Here's the story in German, complete with video:

http://www.bild.de/BILD/regional/dresden/aktuell/2010/05/03/dresdner-heiratet-seine-katze/paketbote-kroent-seltsame-liebe-zu-seinem-haustier.html

A free translation:

"DHL-Postfahrer Uwe Mitzscherlich (39) aus Possendorf bei Dresden lief vor zehn Jahren beim Ostsee-Urlaub in Sassnitz eine damals etwa fünf Jahre alte schwarz-weiße Kurzhaar-Katze zu: Cecilia (15)!"

While non-consent age in human females, 15 seems pretty well onto the consent age range for felines.

„Es klingt verrückt, aber ich will meine Cecilia heiraten.“

This, strictly, in English will be: "I will marry my cat".
In German, however, "will", as with 98% of their words, has a stronger meaning and means, "I want", "I desire". In English, you can say, "I desire to marry my cat, but I won´t". In German, that´s contradictory.

"schläft seit Anbeginn in meinem Bett."

The cat "owner" keeps referring to the bed (Bett) as "his" (´meinem´) bed. She sleeps in his bed. Once married, "it will be OUR bed."

Grice likes to quote from Abbott´s Kant. On good will. Grice notes: The problem with Kant´s theory of good will is that it is biased. Much of what he says about it applies to "bad" or "ill" will with much the same ease.

Kant had said:

"Even if it should happen that owing

to the special disfavour of fortune,

or the niggardly provision of a step-motherly nature,

this WILL should wholly lack power

to accomplish its purpose, if in its

greatest efforts it should achieve nothing,

and there should remain only the GOOD will

(not, to be sure, a mere wish, but the

SUMMONING of all means in our power), then,

like a jewel, it would still SHINE

by its own light, as a thing which

has its whole value in itself."

Grice comments (Pacific Philosophical Quarterly, vol. 67, p. 29Ñ

"no doubt mutatis mutandis something comparable could be said about the BAD will."

Unless otherwise, stated, "I will do it" usually indicates a Good Will, for Kant. The "Illness" of the Will has nothing to do with "Incontinentia". "Malevolence" just happens, and it´s not really ANTI-Ethical. Only Kantotelian ethics can justify good will over ill will. Kantian blind ethics alone Kant and will have, as Grice notes, "ill will" "shining like a jewel by its own light", as poor Abbott did his best to render Kant´s cheap rhetoric there.

"I will marry my cat". Ill will?
The cat´s "will" is on the other hand, by implicature, cannot but show that the cat is always benevolent.

J. L. Speranza
Bordighera