[lit-ideas] Grice on Groundwork III

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 06:05:22 -0400 (EDT)

As we know, there are (at least), two Grices. (Grice notes that "at least"
is usually redundant, "but usually not", he adds jocularly): H. P. Grice
and G.  R. Grice. Both were moralists (which is perhaps the wrong word -- cfr.
 Nowell-Smith, "Philosophers ain't moralists -- they are meta-ethicists".

Both lectured widely on Kant. Grice's fascination was with Groundwork III.
Some of the topics that interested Grice were the fact that Kant usually
spelt  his name "Cant" ("but started to change the "C" into a "K" when he
noted that  the German speakers were unable to pronounce "Cant" alla Scots, and
say, "Sant"  instead. This irritated Cant.")

As every self-appointed Griceian knows, the third section of Kant's
"Groundwork" contains an attempt to establish Kant’s supreme principle of
morality.

Here, Kant considers topics of Griceian interest, such as

-- the nature of reason: "Philosophical Grounds of Rationality: Intentions,
 Categories, Ends" -- PGRICE for short.

-- freedom ("Why do we say 'sugar-free', when sugar does not have a Kantian
 component? It's even worse with "alcohol-free", seeing that this may
reject a  pulsion)

-- autonomy

-- morality,

-- obligation, and

-- the relationship between these concepts, if there are any.

 Now, London is organising workshop that will consider  four essays on
Groundwork III, exploring this special and difficult  terrain.

We may (but then again we may not) circulate these essays in advance,  and
discuss them at the workshop. Our papers (and speakers) are as  follows:

John Callanan (King’s College London)
 ‘Kant and the Explanation of Morality’.

--- cfr. Grice and the explanation of morality.

Joe Saunders (University of Sheffield),
‘From Reason to Freedom to Autonomy: A Defence of Korsgaard’s Groundwork
III’.

-- cfr. Grice: from reason to freedom via autonomy. A defence of a Griceian
 underdogma.

Robert Stern (University of Sheffield),
‘Kant’s Argument for Freedom in Groundwork III’

-- cfr. Grice on 'freedom' in Actions and Events: alcohol-free, sugar-free,
 and the use of 'free' in ordinary English.

Martin Sticker (University of St. Andrews),
‘How can Common Human Reason confirm the Correctness of the
Deduction in Groundwork III?’

-- cfr. Grice, "And does it need to?"

Cheers,

Speranza

-- Themes from Groundwork III
Location: King’s College London, (605  Philosophy building)
Date: 18th June
Time: 12:00-17:00 (with dinner  afterwards)
The third section of the Groundwork contains an attempt to  establish Kant’
s supreme principle of morality. Here, Kant considers the nature  of reason,
freedom, autonomy, morality, obligation, and the relationship between
these concepts.  This workshop will consider four papers on Groundwork III,
exploring this special and difficult terrain. We will circulate these papers in
 advance, and discuss them at the workshop. Our papers (and speakers) are
as  follows:
John Callanan (King’s College London), ‘Kant and the Explanation of
Morality’.
Joe Saunders (University of Sheffield), ‘From Reason to Freedom  to
Autonomy: A Defence of Korsgaard’s Groundwork III’.
Robert Stern  (University of Sheffield), ‘Kant’s Argument for Freedom in
Groundwork III’
Martin Sticker (University of St. Andrews), ‘How can Common Human Reason
confirm the Correctness of the Deduction in Groundwork III?’
This workshop is  free and open to all.