[lit-ideas] Re: Grice and Foot on the foundations of morality

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 17:01:30 -0230

The naturalistic fallacy is a fallacy, of course. Even Republicans in Arizona
will concede that no moral judgement ("ought" claim) follows validly from
premises all of which are descriptive/empirical ("is" claims).

But almost every academic term, a few students in my classes will insist that
the fact that a person believes M (moral judgement) is in itself sufficient for
M to be true or right. For them, this is why morality is relative: two people
can believe respectively M and non-M and they're both right (or wrong, like,
whatever.)

I feel like there is much that is so wrong with that view. And yet, it moves in
an interesting direction from the perspective of moral epistemology. And it
actually suggests a difference - a *foundational* difference, dare we say it -
between empirical claims and moral claims despite itself.

The difference:

Empirical claims are true or false regardless of anyone's beliefs. It's the
world that "decides" truth. But if all realist construals of moral judgement
are fallacious, the only cogent alternative is the Kantian constructivism
championed by the likes of Rawls, Korsgaard, and Habermas which avers that
moral rightness claims are justifiable only if the persons who are affected by
that judgement can rationally accept the rightness of the claims. In other
words, rightness is internally related to belief. Nothing in the world decides
the rightness or wrongness of a mortal claim - only rational belief can do
that. On this constructivist (anti-realist) conception, what makes slavery, for
example, morally wrong, is that not all persons affected by a maxim of slavery
could agree to it, believe it to be justifiable. The moral wrongness of slavery
has nothing to do with any "intrinsic" or "worldly" or "empirical" feature of
human beings that fails to be recognized by a maxim of slavery.

Walter O
MUN

P.S. On the matter of "foundations" when we're not playing intellectual parlour
games:

In many Faculties and Schools of Education, one finds the area of study
designated as "Foundations of Educations." Typically, this includes the
disciplines of sociology, anthropology, history and philosophy - sometimes
psychology, and comparative education. These disciplines are "foundational" to
education in that they help us to identify the competences necessary for mature
professional judgement by reconstructing the logical and conceptual conditions
necessary for the possibility of rational judgement in these areas. The
foundations of, for example, moral judgement would include a configuration of
values, norms, skills and dispositions requisite for the making of impartial
claims to moral rightness. Nothing spooky here, I don't think.