[lit-ideas] Grice, The Expert Witness

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 19:51:17 -0500

We were considering a taxonomy of witnesses, seeing that there's 'material'
witness in some legalese but not in others. Then there's 'expert witness'.
Grice was one: he was called for 'conceptual analysis'. The proceedings
would be interrupted, and someone would say, "We need an expert witness
here". The implicature: a philosopher into conceptual analysis who would help
"in the interests of justice" to find out what the case is all about!

Cheers,

Speranza