[lit-ideas] Re: Grice Had Two Mentors: Chomsky Was One

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 18:59:03 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Wed, 12/5/10, jlsperanza@xxxxxxx <jlsperanza@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> And his first name WAS "Avram", not the other way round.

Quite. "Marva" being instead a program in the Israel Defense Forces that allows
young Jews with a bit of "Hebrew" to learn and experience the basics of IDF and
Israeli life: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marva

> "(Avram Noam) Chomsky was born on the morning of December
> 7, 1928 to Jewish parents in the affluent East Oak Lane
> neighborhood of Philadelphia.¨
>
> --- hospital or house?

In a manger, in a shed, I'd guess. [Obviously a premature birth].

> "Chomsky received his PhD in linguistics from the
> University of Pennsylvania in 1955.

Ah, that's the "Penn" you were all talking about. There's me thinking he was a
neighbour of Popper in Penn, Buckinghamshire (the hamlet P chose to live
because it was the furthest away he could live from L.S.E while staying within
its residency rules and having a nearby mainline train route to London [from
"Havacomb" or, as the English say, 'High Wycombe]').

Relieved to see that, whatever his early experience of Catholics, Chommie has
ended up going to Mass.

Donal
Of the simple view "wrong info" is still "info, it's just "wrong"
Sunlit Uplands