[lit-ideas] Re: Grice & Grice: The Double Act

  • From: palma <palma@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 11:32:56 -0400 (EDT)

almost al such info is false
(chomsky eg is born in Penn

On Mon, 10 May 2010, jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, May 10, 2010 3:29 pm
Subject: [lit-ideas] Insults Which Are Humorous (Maybe)
Tonight at the Improv! It's a Laugh Riot! Masters of Comedy!
Austin, Chomsky, Davidson, Dennett, Donnellan, Fillmore, Fodor, Geach,
Grice, Harman, Katz, Putnam, Quine, Searle,
Strawson, and Ziff --

I´m still wondering how Geary, of all people, came up with that list.
"Of all people" is to be taken at the EXPLICATURE level, not the implicature level, mind.
Austin was born in Lancaster. His middle name was Langshaw
Chomsky was born in the Bronx, I think. Or Brooklyn. Or Manhattan. His first name is Avram. His PhD was on the Hebrew language. Davidson´s second name was "Herbert", like Grice´s first name ("Herbert Paul"= Donnellan is an Irish name. He only wrote ONE essay trying to be witty, but failed.
Fillmore is a linguist -- kant count.
Fodor was born in Brooklyn.
Geach was married to Gertrude Anscombe, till she died. (Is it okay to say "was married" just because SHE died?) Grice is the greatest philosopher that ever lived. I have a poll on him at the GriceClub.com. So far the votes are confirming my cliam.
Harman learned all his philo from Grice.
Katz believed in analyticity.
Putnam wrote on the taste of twater.
"Quine" is a Manx surname.
Searle was born in Dallas.
Strawson was Grice´s pupil at St. John´s. With Austin and Grice in Geary´s list, the only three English born Oxonians.
Ziff means "Zip" in German.

----------

J. L. Speranza
Bordighera

/begin/read__>sig.file: postal address
palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy
3rd floor of Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Durban 4041
South Africa
Tel off: [+27] 031 2601591 (sec: Mrs. Yolanda Hordyk) [+27] 031-2602292
Fax [+27] 031-2603031
mobile 07 62 36 23 91            calling from overseas +[27] 76 2362391
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxx
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

MY OFFICE IS A290@Mtb

*only when in Europe*: inst. J. Nicod
29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france
________
This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or privileged and is
intended for the
use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
you must not copy,
distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any
confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
This entity is not responsible for any information not related to the business
of this entity. If you
received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify the sender.

  Ratio, enim, nisi judex universalis esse deberet, frustra singulis datur.

  [ _Quaestiones Naturales_, Adelard of Bath ]

Signora granda, testa che massa
massa ne passa, che quasi schissa,
Dia dei sostegni de cese e palassi
Dia de le taje che su ne tien fissi
Dia de le onde che le ne fa grassi,
ne ingrassa de ogni grassia, Dia Venessia -

aàh Venessia aàh Venàssia aàh Venùsia

Andrea Zanzotto, Filò, (Sezione: Recitativo Veneziano)