[lit-ideas] Re: Grice Grice

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 14:37:24 -0400 (EDT)

We are analysing M. Quinion's take on 'reduplicatives' (what he calls
'tautonyms'). McEvoy thinks of himself as "Gorilla Gorilla". In fact, I read
from wiki:

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla)

the name

"Gorilla gorilla"

was introduced by Savage in 1847, to distinguish from what I may call the
'wren gorilla':

"Troglodytes gorilla"

The distinction was found otiose by the British Zoological Society: "Surely
 a wren is not a gorilla".

I read from wiki:

"In the rules for botanical nomenclature, tautonyms are explicitly
prohibited (ICBN, Art 23.4)".

This should confuse Witters -- who goes by 'forms of life'.

"The point," said the Chairman of the Society for Botany, "is to avoid
otiosities like, "lettuce lettuce"".

Incidentally, "Mississippi River" is another tautonym, since, in the
vernacular, "Mississippi", as every vernacular knows, means precisely that,
"Mississippi".

Speranza

In a message dated 7/7/2012 1:53:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Fiendishly clever, Watson - use a subject  heading so that when it is
bounced by Robert's settings it bounces  back.

Donal
Gorilla Gorilla