[lit-ideas] Grice Deconstructed

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 21:52:52 -0500 (EST)

BOOK REVIEW:

On the Beginnings of Theory: Deconstructing Broken Logic in Grice,
Habermas, and Stuart Mill [Paperback]
Peter Bornedal

In three exemplary essay, author Peter Bornedal promotes Deconstruction  as
a cogent analytical method whose distinctive critical object is
foundational  knowledge. In this, he wants to restore Deconstruction as a
rational
discourse,  while continuing to emphasize it as a critique of metaphysics.

The  essays discusses the works of Paul Grice and his theory on language
and  communication.

In this essay, the author demonstrates that despite the attempts of Grice
to give ontological foundations for inherent communicative rationality, his
endeavors are unsuccessful.

Ultimately, Bornedal argues that we cannot give metaphysical reasons for
rationality.

We can only decide to pursue these ideals, but there is nothing beyond the
decision that makes the pursuit necessary or inherent.

Peter Bornedal received his M.A. and Ph.D from the University of Chicago.

Of course we may not agree.

Cheers,

Speranza