[lit-ideas] Greek Military History -- Revisited

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 15:43:50 EST

From Geary's Lectures on Greek Military Tactics:

        "One main tactic for the Greek  armies was to build wooden horses.
They tried
        this on a number of occasions.  The first one, you'd probably have
heard of,
        it's the battle of Troy, and I  will be speaking about it more in
coming
        sessions. All the other  occasions when they applied this military
strategy
        proved fracases. Any idea, why?  Yes, Johnson?"

-----

Helm:

"He was apparently appalled at the Greek way of
solving such  problems.   A Greek version would have the Buenos Airians
crossing  the river and burning that paper mill to the ground.  And as you
left  maybe a warning that if they build it back up, next time you'd  burn
Montevideo."

Well, I don't know. I don't know much about Greek military history, and  less
about Persian -- but your postings are helping.

I notice that the Loeb ("Have Loeb, will Travel") has at least one volume
dedicated to MILITARY HISTORY, Greek. That is:

_http://www.hup.harvard.edu/loeb/author.html_
(http://www.hup.harvard.edu/loeb/author.html)

Aeneas authored several didactic military works of which the sole  survivor
is that on defence against siege. Asclepiodotus wrote a rather dry but  ordered
work on Tactics as if a subject of the lecture room, based not on  personal
experience but on earlier manuals. Onasander's "The General" deals in  plain
style with the sort of morals and social and military qualities and  attitudes
expected of a virtuous and militarily successful general.

--- It's a one-volume edition of three authors in one same  volume. It's in
my shopping list!

ÆNEAS  -- POLIOKETICA

OSANDER, Strategikos.
Dedicated  to _Quintus Veranius Nepos_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintus_Veranius) , legate of Britain.
Asclepiodotus  -- MILITARIA -- took  a section of the fleet and the legions
from Le Havre, slipping past Allectus's  fleet at the Isle of Wight under cover
of fog, and landed presumably in the  vicinity of Southampton or Chichester,
where he burned his ships. Allectus  attempted to retreat from the coast but
was cut off by Constantius's forces and  defeated. Some of Constantius's
troops, who had been separated from the main  body by the fog during the
channel
crossing, caught up with the remnants of  Allectus's men at London and
massacred
them.Asclepiodotus appears in medieval  British legend as a native king.
(*) MILITARIA