[lit-ideas] Re: Great Lakes machine guns raise ire in Canada

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 13:39:44 -0700

Ursula:

>> Sheer insanity.  And can one of you military types explain to me
>> what "live-ammunition training drills" really means?  I mean,
>> obviously they are practicing being prepared what they think they
>> might have/want to with live ammo -- but why use live ammo?

Hard to practice hitting a target if you don't use live ammunition.

John Wager:

> I expect that boats there are armed with .50 caliber machine guns,
> but nothing heavier.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/03/15/coastguard-060315.html

'Each vessel is now equipped with a 7.62-mm machine-gun, a light military gun
that is the same calibre as a deer rifle but capable of shooting 600 bullets
per minute.

'The guns are typically mounted because of their weight. But a spokesman for the
U.S. Coast Guard, Petty Officer William Colclough, said they will be stored
below decks on the coast guard's 11 Great Lakes cutters and will be mounted
only when needed.'

Robert Paul
Reed College