[lit-ideas] Graphing the history of philosophy

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 08:54:37 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 8/23/2013 2:13:23 A.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx writes in "Drunks and  Lampposts":
http://drunks-and-lampposts.com/2012/06/13/graphing-the-history-of-philosoph
y/
Don't  know what to do with this, but I'm sure you do.
David Ritchie,
Portland,  Oregon

---

Well, as the link indicates, it's

"Graphing the history of philosophy"

by Simon Raper is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

-- and is Posted by simonraper ⋅ June 13, 2012. It collected 234 Comments,
and it is:

"Filed Under  dbpedia, gephi, graphs, Philosophy, SPARQL,  Visualisation".

I think I (indeed R. B. Jones and I) once tried this for Grice -- elsewhere
 -- and it worked.

The network of influences of that particular philosopher -- not included (I
 would think) in Simon Raper's graphing looked particularly fascinating --
to  me.

I may have the outcome of the application of the technique elsewhere, which
 I connected with Grice's view on the LONGITUDINAL unity of philosophy (as
opposed to its latitudinal unity) -- where 'longitudinal unity' reflects in
this  kind of historical graphing.

McEvoy might try an application of S. Raper's technique to Popper,  etc.

Cheers,

Speranza