[lit-ideas] Grammer School (_Sic_)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 15:53:58 EDT

Interesting about Judy Evans' brother being an old Cowbridgian  (along with
Anthony Hopkins who was recently shooting in the middle of nowhere  in the
Province of Buenos Aires -- the film to be called, "The End of the World"  I
believe).

Some quotes below about 'grammar' school.

1387 _TREVISA_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-t2.html#trevisa)
  Higden (Rolls) V.  51
At Alexandria he heeld a gramer scole.

This is surely non-English, but perhaps the thing _is_ a translation of
'skhole grammatike', which would _not_ be for the training into the Latin
Language, but more like the Greek Language, I would think.

1454 E.E. Wills (1882) 133
For to fynde to gramer scole my cosyn, his sone William.

1523  _FITZHERB._
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-f.html#fitzherb)
  Husb. §147,
I lerned two verses at grammer-schole.

-- and one is _not_ "God save the Queen".

1593  _SHAKES._
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-s2.html#shakes)
 2 Hen. VI, IV. vii. 37
Thou hast most traiterously corrupted the youth  of the Realme, in erecting a
Grammar Schoole.

This was filmed with Laurence Olivier and that tremendously boring sound
track music by Walton.

1616 _R. C._
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-c.html#r-c)
Times' Whistle ii. 845
The foole Was never farther than the grammer schoole.

Your brother may not like this, but _Cowbridge_ *is* different and your
brother was indeed "farther than the grammar schoole".

1647 Laws Massachusetts (1672) 136
Where any Town shall increase to the number of one hundred  Families..they
shall set up a Grammar School.
'
1711  _STEELE_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-s4.html#steele)
Spect. No. 157 1 The many Heart-aches  and Terrors, to which
our Childhood is exposed in going through a  Grammar-School.

Master Evans would agree?

1809 _KENDALL_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-k.html#kendall)
Trav. III. lxxvii. 197
It differs therefore in nothing from the other grammar  schools, called
academies.

-- Well, that's PLATO's Territory, and allows for a whole different  thread.

1858  _DE  QUINCEY_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-d.html#de-quincey)
  Autobiog. Sk. Wks. II. 268
At the little town of Hawkshead..a grammar-school (which, in  English usage,
means a school for classical literature) was founded.

So I assume they taught a sprinkle of Greek.

1874 _GREEN_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-g2.html#green)
Short Hist. vi. §4. 305
The grammar schools of Edward the Sixth and of  Elizabeth..had changed the
very face of England.

Figuratively, that is.

1876 _BANCROFT_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-b.html#bancroft)
 Hist. U.S. V. xxii. 577
They provided for a school in each town, a grammar-school in  each county,
and a university in the state.

1963 _BARNARD_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-b.html#barnard)
& LAUWERYS Handbk. Brit. Educ. Terms 101
Grammar school,..The term nowadays is  used for a secondary school with an
academic curriculum, particularly suited for  preparing pupils for entry to the
universities or professions.

attrib. 1826  _SYD.  SMITH_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-s3.html#syd-smith)
  Wks. (1869) 529
An Hamiltonian makes, in six or seven lessons,  three or four hundred times
as many exchanges of English for French or Latin, as  a grammar schoolboy can
do.

Good quote of a good writer.

1898  _J. K.  JEROME_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-j.html#j-k-jerome)
  Second Thoughts of Idle Fellow 266,
I like to think of him [Shakespeare] as poacher, as  village ne'er-do-well,
denounced by the local grammar-school master.

-----

J. L. Speranza, Esq.

Town:

Calle Arenales 2021, Piso 5, St. 8,