[lit-ideas] Re: Grammar Girl link

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:17:38 EST

Grammar was no longer taught formally in public school when I was growing
up.  I learned almost anything I know about English by studying French and
Spanish, and later Greek and Hebrew.  I started to understand my *own*
language
better by learning the others.  I was, though, always a bit of a  grammar
fanatic even as a kid -- I parsed sentences for the fun of it.  No  one was
taught
about conjugating verbs, even.  The bare minimum -- nouns,  verbs, adjectives,
adverbs, were all that were deemed necessary.  I knew  how to formulate a
correct sentence (mostly from reading literature), but I  couldn't have said
why
a sentence was correct or incorrect grammatically until I  was in junior high
school.  Hence my absolute wincing when a document from  a legal office was
rife with such errors as "when we went threw the goal  today".

Julie Krueger
getting another headache just thinking about it

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Grammar Girl link
Date: 1/24/2007 12:27:07 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I had to look up reflexive verbs too,  Ursula.  I was taught
English grammar the old-fashioned way (strong and  weak verbs,
clause analysis/parsing), later learned the French verb  tenses
and moods... but never came across that/

Judy