[lit-ideas] Re: Grammar Girl link

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:10:09 -0500

Reflexive verbs? I'd heard of reflexive pronouns, but not reflexive verbs. Googling explains why -- used only in other languages. German was my first language, but I never formally studied it, so didn't know the term from that. I also studied a bit of conversational French when I first moved to Northern Ontario (lots of French here), but again didn't learn much terminology. My mother would say

Mann wirt so alt wie eine Kuh
und lernt noch immer was dazu
(spelling from memory)
Ursula
in sunny but cold North Bay

JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

I think we're back to transitives and intransitives....which sort of leads to reflexive verbs and of course we could talk about subjunctives (which are horribly unclear in the English language). Or not.