[lit-ideas] Re: Gossip from the Forest

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 03:33:48 +0200

Walter seems to have really focused on that box of pizza, I have one to
smash on the harasho Russian head

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 3:20 AM, Walter C. Okshevsky <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
wrote:

I don't believe English permits pluralization of "gossip." It's not a
count
noun, bml. Unless the term refers to perpetrators of gossip, who of course
are
plentiful in the human fold.

With ref to previous discussions: The infelicity here would seem to be
akin to
that of "a box of pizza" or "a bag of statue."

These expressions are conceptually awry. But is that why they are
also grammatically/linguistically infelicitous? Or are they the latter in
virtue of the former awryness?

How is this question to be decided? Is natural language grammar the
servant of
the conceptual/logical or is the converse the case?

In a variant of the above question: Are the concepts we deploy in carving
up
reality into individuated entities and processes the products of the
semantic
and syntactic features of natural language, or must the categories of
natural
language bend the knee to language-independent concepts and categories
which
define the possibilities and limits of linguistic forms?

Ca voulait dire: What does "is the case" here mean?

Philosophizing even while sojourning between semesters,

Walter O
MUN

Quoting dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:

We are discussing gossips from the forests.

In a message dated 5/14/2015 6:37:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Sara Maitland, "Gossip from the Forest," with Thomas Keneally, "Gossip
from the Forest,"

I think the implicatures are different. Of course, we have to turn that
into what Witters (or Wittgenstein, if you mustn't) calls a proposition:

For Maitland:

i. There is gossip coming from the forest.

For Keneally:

ii. There is gossip coming from the forest.

One may wonder: but they are identical! How can their respective
implicatures differ.

Gossip has it. And if they are different forests, there is different
gossip
coming from each one, so the CONTENT of the implicature is also
different.

Cheers,

Speranza