[lit-ideas] Gorbachev criticizes U.S. 'empire'

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 09:42:53 -0700 (PDT)

Kind of ties in to the NYRB article on the American empire (what's that old
expression? all power corrupts...):

  "[Gorbachev:] We lost 15 years after the end of the Cold War, but the West I
think and particularly the United States, our American friends, were dizzy with
their success, with the success of their game that they were playing, a new
empire.

  "I don't understand why you, the British, did not tell them, 'Don't think
about empire, we know about empires, we know that all empires break up in the
end, so why start again to create a new mess.'"

  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6717037.stm