[lit-ideas] Gopnik the thinker who can be relied on

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 18:29:58 +0100

Those who have referenced Gopnik's New Yorker piece on Popper as reliable and
worthy of serious examination might also want to commend to the list his latest
effort, which they may wish to insist is not scherzo either but instead a
reliable account of evolutionary effects that is also worthy of serious
examination:-

"By this I mean our readiness to think that anything that has the
short stature and plump cheeks and rounded body of a human baby must
actually be like a human baby. If we did not think babies were
hopelessly cute, after all, we would kill them for being so exhausting.
And so panda bears and chipmunks, and short men too, have
smuggled their way into our affections through the same cognitive door
that was meant to open only for the infants. A typical penguin is as
full of rage, violence and dignity as a tiger but they resemble our
young, and so are pinned as adorable. They are classified as cute, as
short men are, too."

Why short men make better husbands

Why short men make better husbands
Short men make better husbands, and make up in wisdom what they lack in
stature, says self-confessed small man, Adam Gopnik.
View on www.bbc.co.uk Preview by Yahoo

For the record, Gopnik is a self-confessed "short man". He means "short" in
height rather than in analytical skills. But the confusion is understandable.
There is something quite engaging about a punchy prose style that smuggles its
way into our affections through the same cognitive door
that was meant to open only for the infants.

Dnl

On Sunday, 5 October 2014, 15:18, palma <palmaadriano@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am not intaking oxygen waiting for the gricean chemical approach

--

palma,   etheKwini, KZN

palma

cell phone is 0762362391