[lit-ideas] Re: Good Fences make invisible neighbours

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 12:35:10 +0900

On 6/11/06, Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

At 10:04 PM 6/10/2006, you wrote:
>Nice looking fence. Is it the lighting, the paint or are you, in fact,
>using naturally weathered wood?

It's PT [pressure treated lumber]. Sort of pale green. When I was
building it, my SO said "why did you choose green?" Well, that's the
colour it is I guess. Maybe I should have a talk with those pressure
treated people and let them know that they should make designer colours.

I was reminded of some bookshelves that Ruth and I once had, made of lumber salvaged when my dad rebuilt his dock. It had the most wonderful gray but not just gray color. Unfortunately, when we moved to Japan we couldn't bring it with us. On our shoestring academic budgets, shipping a collection of weathered 2 x 10s across the Pacific wasn't on.

John
--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN