[lit-ideas] Re: Going Home

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 14:53:31 -0500

Sorry, Andy, I got too busy for some days to craft a response to this. Joseph Campbell is one of my heroes (and I'm sure that Cohen must know him as well). I used to teach a classics course called "From Myth to Argument" in which Campbell had a prominent role in more than one lecture. But even with that in mind, I think the poem is about 'going home' in the sense of dying and returning from whence we came. It seems to me that that is a sufficient reading and adding layers for which we have no textual evidence might be fun but is not supportable.

Campbell's Hero undertakes the risks of the journey for the rest of us (he may not know this at the beginning, of course, but that's how the story has to finish). He must bring back a boon for mankind, sometimes a physical object (the golden fleece), other times some profound wisdom (Gilgamesh's discovery of what it means to be human). I don't think that either Leonard or Cohen are envisioning this.

Cohen, at any rate, has already left an immense boon. There's a line in one of his other new songs (also about dying) where he sings, "My head is hanging low." I hope he also knows how high he can hold it.

Best,
Ursula

On 12-01-19 9:59 PM, Andy wrote:
Ursula I think you're missing my meaning. Remember I said that this song is about where LC /was/. The Great Pretender is the Hero's Journey /not/ undertaken (Joseph Campbell). The poem is in fact about death, but it's the death of the false self and the birth of the true self. That is the Hero's Journey, Ulysses slaying his (internal) dragons and returning home. The Hero's Journey is the journey into the interior of one's soul, the slaying of the demons that keep us pretending we're something that we don't feel. It's the snake shedding its skin, the moth becoming the butterfly (trite but true). It's about Going Home. Home in dream symbolism is the self. He's standing outside of himself having a conversation with himself, about all the roles he's played and plays. He's a sportsman, a shepherd, a sage, he's wisdom, he's a suit, but ultimately he's the brief elaboration of a tube, an image on a screen. (John Berryman splits himself into two people outside of himself who carry on a conversation.) LC knows he's on the Hero's Journey, the most difficult, most heroic journey any person can undertake. And there's probably a realization that he will never arrive. But the point is always the journey, never the destination. I think in that sense John Wager's tube captures the mythology of the Hero's Journey that Joseph Campbell says all cultures have. And it is quite the Greek chorus, not schmaltzy at all, just echoing. The Hero's Journey, far from diminishing the poem, raises it. Plus it works on other levels, as you mentioned, there's no right or wrong in this case.
Andy