[lit-ideas] Re: Going Home

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 12:17:08 +0900

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:31 AM, John Wager <jwager@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  The "tube" image is also part of Alan Watts description of human beings
> in THE BOOK: ON THE TABOO AGAINST KNOWING WHO YOU ARE, a 1960's intro to
> World Soul or Transcendental Ego or Atman or Hinduism, take your pick.  He
> describes humans as physically a tube, with stuff going in one end and
> coming out the other. He says that this physical description can't come
> close to explaining why humans are human.

Pedantically speaking, I have just consulted Wikipedia and confirmed that *The
Book: On The Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are *was published in 1966. I
encountered the tube in A.S.Romer *The Vertebrate Body, *the 1963 edition,
that was the textbook for a class I took while contemplating becoming an
anthropologist. The first edition was 1949.

Oddly enough, I have just discovered thanks to Google that I mentioned
Romer once before on lit-ideas, in a discussion of *Reading Lolita in
Tehran. *There I mentioned Romer's opening sentence, still to me one of the
most beautiful I've ever read, "Simplest are the solitary tunicates." The
solitary tunicates are the sacs from which the vertebrate story is drawn.

Cheers,

John

John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN