[lit-ideas] Re: Going Home

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:19:01 -0800 (PST)

I had a little time and I thought it might be fun to try something a little
different.  Rather than me tell you what I think is going on with this poem,
I'm going to give you a great big huge hint, as in really really big.  Below is
a song that to me is what I think LC is leaving behind on his way home.  He's
not home yet.  The home of course is metaphorical; think dream imagery.  Think
too a little of John Berryman.  I have a feeling you all out there will
instantly get it.  If not and I need to make my case better, I'd be happy to
hear where I went wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwfmbXJEBtY&ob=av2n

I love to speak with Leonard
He’s a sportsman and a shepherd
He’s a lazy bastard
Living in a suit

But he does say what I tell him
Even though it isn’t welcome
He will never have the freedom
To refuse

He will speak these words of wisdom
Like a sage, a man of vision
Though he knows he’s really nothing
But the brief elaboration of a tube

Going home
Without my sorrow
Going home
Sometime tomorrow
To where it’s better
Than before

Going home
Without my burden
Going home
Behind the curtain
Going home
Without the costume
That I wore

He wants to write a love song
An anthem of forgiving
A manual for living with defeat

A cry above the suffering
A sacrifice recovering
But that isn’t what I want him to complete

I want to make him certain
That he doesn’t have a burden
That he doesn’t need a vision

That he only has permission