[lit-ideas] Re: God said to Abraham, "Slavery's wrong", Abe said "Man, you must be puttin' me on"

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:13:39 -0500

On 2/10/2011 11:23 PM, Mike Geary wrote:
the Emancipation Proclamation may well have been issued to
consolidate support for the war in the North, but it was not his main
concern.  As far as I know Lincoln was just another politician as is Obama.

Not true at all. He was an exceptional strategic thinker. As a moderate Republican, Lincoln favored emancipation of course, but didn't want to stray far from centrist consensus.

The main reason for the first Emancipation Proclamation was to prevent the British from *openly* aiding the Confederacy. Lincoln knew that the British were considering outright of the South after Lee's first victory. By issuing the first proclamation, he made it diplomatically untenable for the British, who had abolished slavery earlier, to come to the aid of the slaver states.

The second Emancipation Proclamation was followed by a Constitutional Amendment ending slavery, yet the horrendous South, after Reconstruction, used every state power they could to hinder and roll back the progress. The Supreme Court usually sided with these cynical and immoral moves.

Regards,
Eric
Yankee