[lit-ideas] Re: Globalization

  • From: eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:53:22 -0500

 Hi,
and, it's not just the educated populace that has problems.

Think of Halliburton subsidiaries who have gotten in trouble in the Phillipines
because they were hiring workers from there to hop on board one of their
almost-slave-trading vessels and being taken to Iraq to work on construction
(and other) projects that were given to Halliburton (and its subsidiaries)  The
government of the Phillipines finally stopped allowing them to advertise there
because they were doing so and claiming to be going to be giving the citizens
who worked for them great jobs--but they were not. They were, actually, getting
paid less than the workers in Iraq would have been if the workers in Iraq had
been allowed to get paid to rebuild their own country.

It REALLY is a globalized economy when you cannot even rebuild your own
country's infrastructure that was destroyed...(and we wondered why people were
upset with American's being in Iraq--it's NOT just about our military--it's
about how our Corporate America *runs* the world--whether it be the outsourcing
of the training of Iraqis [think of the military guy who recently 'committed
suicide' when he was investigating the corners being cut by those corpoate
souls doing that...] or guarding of our American Military Forts and Academies
as well as those doing the jobs within them (and they are not screened for
security, either--the number of illegals hired by those outsourced firms was an
issue not long ago when it was finally exposed ... )

I, however, wouldn't say it in quite the same words that Andreas does (which is
why he would probablyl not be invited to write the platform for either the
moderate Republicans or the moderate Democrats <g>,), because I don't
necessarily think that people are totally ignorant it is more that it is more
hopeful to try to believe that Bush and co were not a part of that corpoate
world (because of the sense of powerlessness that is felt if you actually face
it straight-on--)

Like Andras, I'm not sure that it is (necessarily) a BAD thing to have a
globalized marketplace. What it really will mean, in the long term, is that
those of us who see government as the safeguard for littles from those who
would venture too far on the side of selfishness to the point whereby there is
no balance of concern for the health/well-being of those who are working/caring
for the Big Guys [so to speak-I'm probably not going to be wriiting a platform
anytime soon, either <G>] is gone.

My parents, firm Republicans (traditional and moderate on a historic
basis--and, like LH [I think] somehow unable to really face how their party has
changed...) taught that the purpose of Government was to do that--not on an
extreme level, but to cause things like decent schools, roads, long-term care
facilities to have excape exits in their buildings [Missouri had so many deaths
from nursing homes and long-term care facilities in the 70s that they were
forced to write regulations for them-up until then, there were hardly any. Same
with many other aspects of our govenment--)   The 'neo-conservative Republican'
and their fiscal policy (there are books written by them on this topic) is very
much against that viewpoint--don't know if they really would have liked their
kids breathing black air or filthy water and sick all the time, but sometimes
it seems like it. My dad once said that his viewpoint of what government should
provide was that it should provide the means for the poo
 r that we would always have with us (being a mathematician who tended to look
at the world in numbers--he had, at one point, figured out or knew of, a
percentage of any population which would always be at that level-though the
individuals might change)--and that charities and such should be there as the
'safety net' for those who slipped for various and assorted reasons and just
needed a quick boost. But, he/she never ever said that government and what it
did in terms of social, health and such services was not needed...  (which is
why I liked Christine Todd Whitman's book on what happened to her party...a bit
more breezy of a read than I might have liked, but did talk about it--along
with why she left Bush's admin as director of the EPA)

Best,
Marlena
Seeking to be the Guiding Light of the Moderate Middle for Both Extremes <g>