[lit-ideas] Re: Globalization

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 01:25:58 EST

In a message dated 2/24/2006 11:14:11 P.M. Central Standard Time,
JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx writes:

Somehow I'm starting to think that getting my kids into language classes  in
Chinese and Indian might be more pragmatic than Arabic...

Hi,
My son's Exploring Languages and Cultures just got done with a unit on
Chinese.

The high school, next fall, will offer grades 10-12 Chinese  classes. (my son
was hoping that it would start next year for him, but he  has a couple more
years to go--)

My understanding is that many schools are going to do that in the next
couple of years.

Also--speaking of the changing educational climate ...here's a couple of
other thoughts...

School districts encourage, more and more, people to home school. Many
allow, now, kids to take extracurricular classes as well as certain classes
[such
as math or science] but not the others ...

I heard (but have not checked) that either Minnesota or Michigan is going  to
require next year for all graduating high school seniors to have taken at
least one online class ...

Eventually, we may not have schools, do you think?  Which may  eliminate a
lot of the need for teachers, etc (esp if the online classes are  taught by
Chinese and/or Indian teachers)--and all kids will be taking classes  online
from
their homes...

Not sure who will be home to watch them, mind you--but it could happen at
least on the high school level.

Best,
Marlena in Missouri