[lit-ideas] Re: Global Warming Hysteria

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:38:39 -0700

On Jul 15, 2008, at 2:02 PM, Judith Evans wrote:

Quite. Of course we panicked first but there have been no bank runs since despite a few little problems... (I'm with Lloyds, which has managed by a mixture of indolence and meanness to be one of the safest banks. Thank goodness.)

I found solace in an evening with Eddie Izzard, whose comedy has taken a new turn. His current touring act steers a path between doing what people expect him to do and trying new things. So he talks about giraffes and Noah and does his Sean Connery schtick, but the new twist is that the information he gives as the "true" starting point of the skit, information that used to be the fixed point of his compass wanderings, is now unreliable. It used to be that Izzard would begin with an apercu--the difference between Soviet casualty figures in W.W.2 and those of their western allies, for example-- and go on to riff about war movies and anything else he could connect to this fact. It was a compass-like move; fixed point, wandering comedic excursion. Yesterday evening he started with the "fact" that yoghourt and kiosk and something else are Viking words and isn't it odd that people who are famous for rape and pillage should be so enamored of yoghourt?

"Hang on a minute..., ein minuten bitte, 'old on un petit moment," is what you're thinking, "those words don't sound Scandinavian in the least."

People I talked with afterwards assured me that a trick of memory was to blame for my feeble assertion that I recalled the words being of Turkish origin. The weird stuff I remember!

I now denounce them as silly non-O.E.D.-owning peoples.

But we were discussing banks.  How did I get here?  I forget.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon