[lit-ideas] Re: Giving Reasons [Iraqi] with morality considered

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 12:56:02 -0700

I'm seeing both the Hussein and Bush reasons as exceptions to your criteria
-- unless you are implying that there may be "moral principles and norms"
which have nothing to do "with quality, autonomy, reciprocity and
universality."  If so then I misread you, but I now see that is a possible
interpretation of your first sentence in Version A -- although "equality,
autonomy, reciprocity and universality" are so abstract that I could fit
Hussein's & Bush's reasons into them -- perhaps in "autonomy."  Hussein has
his reasons, according to Bowman, but they may or may not be moral.  They
are, Hussein thinks, expedient.  Does morality even enter in it?  And
Version B is no further help because given Hussein's reasons morality isn't
learned.  He thinks it the prudent or wise thing to do but I fail to see
morality here.

In regard to Bush's decision, perhaps autonomy is the abstract term that
comes closest to the decision he made; although a case could be made for
reciprocity, but only in senses that preclude their being "moral norms."
The US had been attacked and his inaccessible reason is that to avenge the
9/11 attack by an attack against Iraq will be fitting according to an
ancient Honor Code.  Perhaps we could say that this action will (according
to the Honor Code) make it less likely that America's autonomy will be
impinged.  But Bush probably isn't aware of this reason according to Bowman
and so doesn't engage in any language game to justify it.  Furthermore since
it isn't accessible, it isn't relatable to morality.  Even if it were
accessible it wouldn't necessarily be relatable to morality.  Actions by
heads of state may be prudent and necessary and only moral insofar as it is
needful that the head of state do them and not shirk his duty.

I don't know, Walter, are there questions here?  I guess the implicit
questions were intended to be "aren't these two examples exceptions?"  If
they aren't, I don't see why they aren't.

Lawrence

Included as reference:

Version A

Moral principles and norms having to do with equality, autonomy, reciprocity
and universality are general criteria which we apply to different contexts,
actions, policies, etc.. Reason-giving is one particular activity or
language-game. We can do it either in accordance with the above stated moral
norms or we can engage in the activity while violating those same norms.
Moral principles originate within our socialization into a particular
culture, set of traditions, etc.. So we, for example, come to learn to
respect the equal freedom of all persons and then we apply this norm within
our particular activities, one of which is reason-giving. (Or we fail to do
so.)

Version B

Moral principles conceptually originate within the activity of giving
reasons.

The former necessarily presuppose the latter. Without this practice, we
could not learn, nor would we have, moral concepts such as equality,
autonomy, right and wrong, obligation, etc.. It's not that these moral
principles and concepts are available to us first, learned first within
acculturation, and then applied to various activities and contexts, one of
which is reason-giving. Rather, what it means to respect others as free and
equal persons, what it means to have an obligation, etc., are intelligible
to us only because we understand what it means to give reasons.