[lit-ideas] Giving A Damn

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 21:05:52 EDT

In a message dated 9/3/2004 3:41:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, goya@xxxxxxx
writes:

There  are a couple of expressions that have always bugged me in this=20
regard.  To indicate one's complete lack of interest in a state of=20
affairs, one  can say both =93=A0I couldn't care less" and "I could care=20=
less", with  no apparent difference in meaning. The latter formulation=20
seems  grammatically incorrect, for it could be parsed as claiming  :=20
=93=A0There are (actual or possible) situations which would elicit  =
*less*=20
concern from me than the present one". But that surely  implies "My=20
degree of concern for the present is greater than nil". The  first=20
formulation, by contrast, seems to convey the more relevant  attitude=A0:=20=
" There is *no* (potential or actual" situation which  could elicit=20
*less* concern on my part=A0", in other words, "the present  situation=20
elicits the absolute minimum degree of concern of which I am  capable". =20=
Similarly, one often hears =93=A0I could give a damn/shit"  used when the=20=
obvious meaning is in fact "I could/do *not* give a  damn/shit".
I wonder if this phenomenon is related to  that of euphemism. A =
Spanish=20
friend of mine, in his mid-twenties,  has the habit of designating=20
things of which he approves or by which he  is favorably impressed as=20
"Mortal!" and/or "Brutal!" . This amuses my  Hispanic friends who are a=20=
generation or so older, so it must be a  recent development.

-----

I don't think the phenomenon is related to euphemism. L. Horn has an  article
on that where he discusses "he doesn't know shit" and other "negative
polarity items".

I'm not sure the _meaning_ of

     I could give a shit

is, as Chase suggests -- and the 'obvious meaning in fact', he writes,
boldly --

    I could _not_ give a shit.

Shits (and damns) are usually _not_ valued in the culture, so, to  express
indifference it is very likely that one may _want_ to give shit. (Freud  has a
different theory about excrement, noting that it is something _very_  valued by
the child -- who usually shows it to her parents as a 'work of  art').

'Brutal' and 'Mortal' are more or less equivalent to the American use of
"terrific" to mean "great". I think it's more an 'irony' than a 'euphemism'.
The
idea is to mean precisely the opposite of what you say.

Back to negative polarity, one of the characters in Mexican author
Revueltas's novel -- El apando -- is called "Carajo" ("Carajo la miro
fijamente")
which seems to work in Spanish like 'a damn' or 'a shit' in "I don't  care/give
damn", or a "fig" (Some suppose that 'fig' here _is_ an euphemism  for
"fick(en)").

Cheers,

JL