[lit-ideas] Re: Get on your thinking caps

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 13:31:45 -0700

John McCreery wrote

OK, this is a bit of a tease. But for something a little different from the
usual Popper and Speranza...

Lately, Donal and I have been talking about various things: whether it is possible to 'imagine' the suffering of others, and thereby understand why causing such suffering is morally wrong; whether such understanding-through-imagining is a necessary condition for 'moral understanding'—and so on. Although perhaps there's no evidence of it, our exchanges have made me think. Through Donal's explications of Popper I've glimpsed aspects of Popper's work that, were I younger, I would have liked to investigate further. The implication that Popper's work—references to it—are common fare
on this list puzzles me.

JL's contributions are often arcane, often amusing, sometimes bewildering, and very often insightful. Where would we be without him?

Robert Paul