[lit-ideas] German fear of anarchy

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 08:36:38 -0700

I ran across the following in Steven Ozment's /A Mighty Fortress, A new History of the German People, /published 2006:

"Over most of their history Germans have embraced ideals of order and authority without totalitarianism, and pursued freedom and equality without liberal democracy. The German difference from American, British, and French models of society and politics does not lie in any German rejection of individual freedom in favor of absolute, or totalitarian, rule. Historical experience has instead left Germans more fearful of anarchy than of tyranny, inclining them to hedge, if hedge they must, on the side of good order. This they have done in a compelling belief that it is not freedom once attained, but discipline, carefully maintained, that keeps a people free."

This seemed an interesting passage at first reading, but when I reread and kept rereading it I decided I didn't understand it. There are too many abstract terms, too many implications, many of which are probably not intended. Also, I do not know what "historical experience" Ozment is referring to. No doubt he'll explain himself later on (the quote is from pages 13 & 14) What, if Ozment is accurate, do the Germans mean by anarchy? What does Mike Geary (who called himself an anarchist a few years ago) mean by it? What does Noam Chomsky (whom I just ordered two books by), calling himself an Anarchist, mean by it? What do Geary and Chomsky think of Germany's fear of anarchy?

{Maybe I should have used a different word than "tired" when I said I was "tired" of an earlier discussion. I had a stiff-neck and a headache, both of which were getting worse as I tried to reconcile what I had read to what interlocutors were thinking it said, and I could only imagine them getting worse as time went on -- "tired" may not be precisely a "headache and stiff neck," but their effects are wearing. Having a headache and stiff neck leads to tiredness. Pitchers who have headaches and stiff necks are pulled after only one or two innings. I don't as I post this note have a fear of anarchy but of tiredness and having to explain myself.]

Lawrence