[lit-ideas] Re: Geisha (Was: Sapir/Whorf Hypothesis)

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:06:24 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Aug 22, 2004 10:41 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Geisha (Was: Sapir/Whorf Hypothesis)

> A.A.  You might be right.  I just have a hard imagining that when one
> combines men and booze and professional pleasers let's call them, that
> sex isn't involved.  It still leaves the question of why these men
> prefer geishas to spending time at home.

For the same reason that men go to golf courses, to meet with other men
with whom they do business. To mistake the entertainment for the
purpose of the meeting is a fundamental error.

A.A.  Japan must be one heck of a business country.   I haven't exactly spent
my life in a tree, and in my experience business is done during business hours.
 Are you suggesting the Japanese sacrifice their personal lives for the sake of
business?  If there is a better reason to commit suicide I wonder?

M.M.In any case, real geisha, who (as a near-literal translation of
"geisha," i.e. "artist") implies are highly trained professional
entertainers, who like other practitioners of traditional Japanese arts
are shrinking in number as the market for their services collapses into
an esoteric niche.

A.A. As their numbers shrink, who entertains the salarymen?  BTW, from
everything I've read, Japan as a social entity is not flourishing.

Andy Amago

Cheers,

John L. McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.