[lit-ideas] Re: Gee whiz,another one of those ignorant people <irony intended>

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:45:12 -0700

Good article Omar.  Christopher Hitchens a month or so ago suggested that
Bush meet with unspecified Iranian leaders and that was kicked about here on
Lit-Ideas to a considerable degree.  But a pretext was needed and there also
needed to be some sign that Iran was willing to deal.  Just going to talk, a
popular approach during the Clinton/Albright administration, wasn't going to
do any good; that is, that approach had already been derided by Saddam
Hussein, Osama bin Laden and a host of others as a sign of American
weakness.  But if Mahmud Ahmadinejad were replaced by someone less
pugnacious toward the U.S., we could view that as a sign that they seriously
wanted a compromise of some sort.  The idea that Bush wants war regardless
of consequences is of course silly.  If there were some way to get Iran to
stop building their bomb without warring against them, that would be
everyone's first choice I am quite sure.

But you can see from the article that Ahmadinejad doesn't take the American
threat seriously.  And if he doesn't take America seriously, why should he
want to deal?  As long as we have only Ahmadinejad to deal with, the
military option must remain on the table.

Lawrence