[lit-ideas] Re: Geary's obituary of Claude Levi Strauss

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 08:00:40 EST

In a message dated 11/4/2009 3:53:14 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

--- On  Wed, 4/11/09, Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I was  very disappointed that he was not
> wearing Levis.

Bet he wasn't  listening to Strauss either. Big phoney.

--- I think McEvoy misses the point. He wasn't wearing Levi-Strauss. No
need to bring the author of "The RosenKavalier".

Now, Geary's sentence is ambiguous. What is 'saunter'. And how can it be
"champs" in plural but "Elysee" in singular?

And, most importantly, Grice would analyse the sentence in the implicature
fashion meaning:

"He wasn't wearning ANY trousers".

Cfr. "Tommy wasn't wearing his Levis". (He was naked from the waist  down).

--- So, what did disappoint Geary?

Cheers,

JLS, Bordighera