[lit-ideas] Geary's Lectures on Ptolemy

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 16:57:15 EST

Memphis, TN.  Memphis  Metaphysical Ministry holds its annual conference on
Astronomy Meets Astrology.  Invited guest is the President of the Memphis
Metaphysical Ministry, who will  lecture on Loeb # 24, Ptolemy, Tetrabiblos.
-- What gave you the idea of the  seminar?
-- Well, I think astronomy is  overrated.
-- What do you  mean?
-- We believe that the Ancients -- or  'Dead White Men' if you must --  had
it _very_ right when they thought Man  was the Center of the University.
-- You mean the  universe?
-- No, the university of Memphis. It  used to be a Normal College, way back.
-- Your point is  anthropocentric?
-- Well, no. It's a _moral_ point.  Way back, Aristotle, and Ptolemy (the
focus of my lecture) had it all happy and  nice and 'comfy' with the Man at the
center of what the Greeks called 'the  Kosmos' -- hence cosmetic surgery. But
then comes Galileo Galilei and Kopernikus  and change it all -- for worse of
course.
-- What do you  mean?
-- Well, it was, as Freud called it  the first _narcissitic wound_ that Man
received, and it hasn't recovered from it  (yet).
-- So you're proposing a _healing_  from the wound?
-- Exactly, we claim that while it  may not be _true_ that Man is the centre
of the universe and the goal of all  creation, we believe it was _wrong_ on
the part of Galileo to spread the news  otherwise.  This has nothing to do with
religion as such, since I'm an  atheist.
--Who is he?
-- Oh, he is my amanuensis. He reads  books, etc. Hi, JL, what's up?
-- JL: I've got some quotes from the  OED on Ptolemy, as you requested. Want
to read them now?
-- No, later
Cheers,
JL
-----
1623 E. CHALONER  Sixe Serm. 82
That Ptolomean structure to bee gaz'd vpon.
1656 T. STANLEY  Zeno 140 in Hist. Philos. VIII,
Pausanias saith, it was set up in the Gymnasium,  called Ptolomæan from the
Founder, not far from the Forum.
1748 B. FRANKLIN  Poor Richard in L. W. Labaree Papers of Benjamin Franklin
(1961)  III. 249
The Ptolomean System, which prevail'd before  Copernicus, suppos'd the Earth
to be fix'd.
1861 F. MAX MÜLLER  Lect. Sci. Lang. i. 17
Although the Ptolemæan system was a wrong one, yet  even from its eccentric
point of view, laws were discovered determining the true  movements of the
heavenly bodies.
1914 Geogr. Jrnl. 44 177
It is doubtful whether he had ever had before him  a Ptolemæan production
[sc. a map] except in some amended and augmented  form.
1997 Philos. Sci. 64 590
The earth..was considered to be the non-moving  center of the Ptolemean
(geocentric) universe.
1647 _R. BOYLE_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-b3.html#r-boyle)
 Let. to Hartlib 8 Apr. in T. Birch Life R. Boyle  (1744)
76
The dissenting opinions of the  Ptolemeans, the Tychonians, the Copernicans.
1702 _R. MORDEN_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-m4.html#r-morden)
  Introd. Astron. 6
By this contrivance he avoided  the Imputation of that absur'd opinion; of
the Ptolemeans, that the Sun, and  with him all the Planets,..were carried
round
the Earth, once a Day.
1784 F. O'GALLAGHER Ess. First Princ. Nature  vii. 310
Kepler discovered the properties and law of  gravity, by which the objections
of the Ptolemeans were done away.
1983 Isis 74 32
Gilbert..summoned Ptolemeans and Peripatetics to  be ‘less terrified if the
earth do move round in a circle’.
Tetrabiblos   -- available from Powells.com at  $16