[lit-ideas] Re: Geary's Lecture -- *Re-scheduled*

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 16:59:08 EDT

In a message dated 6/8/2009 3:18:14 P.M. Eastern  Daylight Time,
wokshevs@xxxxxx writes:
hmmmm ... a
clear case of  legitimate exemption to be sure.

No, Mike was not one of the 3 odd people  who walked out during my talk.
There's
nothing really odd about  Mike

-----

Did you mean 3-ish, 40-ish.

I thought the people who walked out were walking out after your talk but
before the summation.

I have given talks, and cannot concentrate on audience. If they leave,
their loss, that's what my mother says.

Anyway, 'odd' is an odd word to mean 1, and correlatives of 1: 3, 5, 7 9,

I once invented a mathematical theory based only on the condition of
a number being 'odd' or 'even'.

-- It's been done before but I did not know.

As every schoolboy knows

multiplication.

It's always 'even' if at least one of the multiplicandum is even. Odd,
otherwise. The classical example that Plato gives (Maen. 4007b -- and ss.) is

               9 X 9 = 81

(Geary notes, further, that 8 + 1, i.e. the summation of '81' taking
separately, is also '9', but we have concluded that that is kabbalistic:

        Geary, J. M. & J. L.  Speranza, "Cabbalistic elements in Plato"
             Commentary by R. Paul.

R. Paul: "The Greeks did not have a digital system, so to conclude from
what Plato says is fallaciouis."

Geary sued R. Paul: "The Greeks may not have had a digital system, but they
 had 10 fingers, like we do."

---

Now, division is more of a trick

               odd : odd = odd

For summation, as with 'deficiency', it's easier:

        odd + odd = even

As in the reciprocal of multiplication, the presence of an even number
makes the summation odd ("provided the other summandum is not odd -- but
even").

Cheers,

JLS

fingertips.