[lit-ideas] Re: Geary's Interview

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:40:40 +0000 (GMT)

I said "unread". I meant it. It still is.

As the late Donald Davidson might have put it on 'most charitable
intepretation' I was addressing the fact that if, on this list, you do not make
your point but refer (continually) instead to your blog, you may - without
rudeness - have your blog unread.

It would at least be polite for you to say "My basic point here is X, for
further details please see my blog at Y." To say "please see Y" is arguably
rude. It doesn't further discussion.

I come on this list to be challenged and usefully am (I don't always agree of
course but I still, mostly, appreciate the challenges). It would be an insult
if I said to other members "please see my blog because I am either unable or
can't be be bothered to compress my points into the actually quite expansive
and really fairly flexible 'format' [if there is such a thing] of a lit-ideas
post".

But you think taking issue with this suggestion is, perhaps, rude.

Yeah.

Donal
And yes, of course, Popper is right about everything (as if)