[lit-ideas] Geary's Infallibility

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 22:01:11 -0400 (EDT)

We are discussing Papal's (and indeed Popper's) infallibility.

The Wikipedia entry reads:

 "a dogma of the Catholic Church which states that, in virtue of  the
promise of Jesus to Peter, the Pope is preserved from the  possibility of
error
"when, in the exercise of his office as shepherd  and teacher of all
Christians,  in virtue of his supreme apostolic  authority, he defines a
doctrine
concerning  faith or morals to be held  by the whole Church".

In a message dated 9/24/2013 12:59:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
_omarkusto@yahoo.com_ (mailto:omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx)  comments:

"This  seems to be tautologically true in the context of Catholic faith
since the Pope  is considered to be the supreme authority who defines the
Catholic doctrine,  hence he cannot, by definition, err on doctrine. The only
instance that could  conceivably falsify this would be if two Popes issued
contradictory statements  on matters of doctrine, or if the same Pope issued
different statements at  different times."

I'm not so sure I'm ready to use 'tautological' to issues having to do with
 morals. Perhaps

"Every man should do his duty" is ETHICALLY tautologous.

But it seems best to restrict 'tautological' to assertive vacuities like
"It is raining or not".

Or not.

Cheers,

Speranza