[lit-ideas] Geary's Couple of Questions

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 13:48:17 -0400 (EDT)

The fascinating thing about Geary is that when  he writes (or 'expresses',
to use Grice's jargon), "a couple of" (say,  questions), he _means_ it:
'two' (in numerals: '2').

In a message dated  7/19/2013 12:43:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx  writes:
a couple of questions. These questions arose in the writing of my
masterpiece: "God Intoxicated.  A Really Bad Weekend In Memphis."  I'm  hoping
someone has an answer and can simply tell me (simply, Speranza, simply)  and
save
me from the tedium of research.  QUESTION 1:  Is Christianity  the only
religion/myth in which the God gets killed, but carries on?   QUESTION 2: In
Christianity, God not only talks directly to human beings, he  even shows
himself.  In Judaism, God talks to human beings but only as a  burning bush or
voice out of the clouds as when he questions Adam's wardrobe,  or he writes
things on walls, etc., but never person to person. Does God ever  talk to
human beings in Islam?  I believe he is supposed to have to have  spoken to
Abraham, but we have to take Mohammed's word for that.  I wonder  what
prepared the Jews of 1AD to accept the notion that God decided to walk  among
us?
It seems extraordinarily radical to me now.  Surely it  would have seemed
even more so to them back then.

Question 1:
Is Christianity the only religion/myth in which the God gets killed but
carries on?

Answer to Question 1: No. (Vide: Greek Mythology).

Question 2:
In Christianity, God not only talks directly to human beings, he even shows
 himself. ... Does God ever talk to human beings in Islam?

Answer to Question 2: Alas, it seems some research may be in order to
answer that. I'll try wiki (or a leak).

As an implicature, we should add what LANGUAGE God used when and if talking
 (to human beings) in Islam, and cross-linguistically provide the relevant
evidence. Or not.

Cheers,

Speranza

---