[lit-ideas] Geary: Transubstantiation Made Easy

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 00:04:40 EDT

The bread and the wine are consecrated by the [literate, performative]  words
‘This is my body,’ ‘This is my blood’.

Consecration "He consecratis the  trew body & blud of Jesus Christ, nocht be
the vertew of ony mannis word,  but be the vertew and powar of Gods word."
"Priests alone can consecrate". It is  necessary the priest should call down
His
very body crucified upon the cross  into the bread; which must be
transubstantiated thereinto, or consubstantiated  therewith. (Book of Common
Prayer)

Geary thinks he is being intelligent (a prodigy) when he  writes:

>As early as [I was] 5 [years old] they [my fathers]  were talking essence at
me. The essence of bread is changed -- I'm sorry,  transubstantiated -- into
the essence of God.

Oddly, I got it all clear from the Fathers.

It's two things that get transubstantiated:

              Jesus Christ's BODY ------ (soma) --> becomes BREAD (and vice
versa)
              Jesus Christ's BLOOD ---- (hema) --> becomes WINE (and vice
versa)

No need to transubstantiate these two edible elements into the essence of
_God_.

But if that's what Geary wants (essence) that's what he gets. There are  five
essences:

                              WIND

              FIRE                         WATER

                             STONE

In the middle is the quintessence (fifth essence). Luca di Ghiambardella
argued that it was a combination of the four essences, with a sprinkling of
nutmeg, but there are other recipes.

Cheers,

J. L.

----

quintessence. [a. F. quintessence, quinte essence (14th c.), or ad.  med.L.
quinta essentia ‘fifth essence’. The ‘fifth  essence’ supposed to be the
'substance' of which the heavenly bodies were  composed, and to be actually
latent
in *all* things, the extraction of it by  distillation c1430  _LYDG._
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-l2.html#lydg)
Min.
Poems (Percy  Soc.) 51 Aurum potabile..In quyntencense, best restauracioun.

Consecrate: Used as  the proper word for the action whereby the bread and
wine receive their  sacramental character in the Eucharist. (Here the notion
varies according to the doctrine held as to the nature of the  sacrament.)

1553  _TINDALE_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-t2.html#tindale)
 Supper of Lorde 39

"It is manifest that Christ consecrated no  bread."

1662  Bk. Com. Prayer, Communion, If  the consecrated bread or wine be all
spent before all have communicated, the  Priest is to consecrate more.

1885  Catholic Dict. 311/2 The bread  and the wine are consecrated by the
[literate, performative] words ‘This is my  body,’ ‘This is my blood’.
b. used proleptically of the result.
c1500  Doctr. Gd. Servaunts in 5  Poet. Tracts (Percy Soc.) 3 Syth  they
consecrate our God omnipotent. 1526  Pilgr. Perf. (W. de W. 1531) 231b, How
often
so euer you consecrate my body and my blode, do it in  the remembraunce of me.
1552  _ABP.  HAMILTON_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-h.html#abp-hamilton)
  Catech. 205 He consecratis the  trew body &
blud of Jesus Christ, nocht be the vertew of ony mannis word,  but be the
vertew
and powar of Gods word.
c.  absol.
1534  _MORE_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-m4.html#more)
On the Passion Wks. 1308/1  Therfore was it [the Paschall lambe]
eaten with vnleauened  breade. And so consequentlye Christe dydde consecrate
in vnleauened breade. 1885  Catholic Dict. 317/1 The First  General Council
takes for granted that priests alone can consecrate.

[c1450: see  prec.] 1533  _TINDALE_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-t2.html#tindale)
  Supper of Lord  Biij, The wyne
transsubstanciated into his bloud. 1651  _C.  CARTWRIGHT_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-c.html#c-cartwright)
  Cert. Relig. I. 122
After  Consecration there is no longer the substance of Bread, but that the
Bread is  transubstantiated, and turned into the substance of Christs Body.
a1774  _TUCKER_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-t2.html#tucker)
Lt. Nat. (1834) II. 483 It is  necessary the priest should call
down His very body crucified upon the cross  into the bread; which must be
transubstantiated thereinto, or consubstantiated  therewith. a1819  G. HILL
Lect. Div. (1821) III. 362 The  practice of partaking in private of a small
portion of what the priest has thus  transubstantiated.

J. L. Speranza, Esq.

Town:

Calle Arenales 2021, Piso 5, St. 8,
La Recoleta  C1124AAE,