[lit-ideas] Re: Geary And What's Right With Philosophy Never Being Wrong

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 19:42:09 -0500

One wonders what Geary meant when he wrote "definitively wrong". Did he
mean what he wrote? Did he write what he meant? For to my way of thinking
Philosophy is the only field of study wherein there is no definitely RIGHT
theory. It's all just talking -- a language game, if you prefer. But
then, of course, there are those sophers, such as moi, who believe that
humaninity is so closely tied to languaging that it's nigh on impossible to
separate them -- like slurred words and drunkards -- like Speranza's
favorite song: they go together like a horse and carriage, like love and
marriage, that was told by mother, you can't have one without the other.
It's all the same. We and language. Shalom and Pax and Peace and Shantih
and you know...

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 3:26 PM, Redacted sender Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx for
DMARC <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In a message dated 7/26/2015 3:12:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx writes:
"People can't even agree about what killed Lottie Collins much less what's
obscene. Philosophy is the only field of study where there's no
definitively wrong theory."

This is an interesting topic.

i. Philosophy is the only field of study where there's no definitively
wrong theory.*

This may invite a Popperian analysis into: 'field', 'study', 'field of
study', 'no definitively wrong', and 'theory'.

For Popper all theories might be definitely wrong. And he made a
distinction between 'philosophy' and 'science', adding, "Mind: I'm a
philosopher,
not a scientist."

'Wrong' and 'right' are used in ethics, but Popper sometimes uses 'wrong'
to apply to theoretical rather than practical domains: a wrong conclusion
for example, or better, a wrong inference. In this sense, Geary is right
that
philosophy is the only field of study where there's no definitely wrong
theory.

This does NOT implicate that philosophy is the only field of study where
there's no wrong theory. For Geary is emphatic about 'DEFINITELY' (my
emphasis) wrong being his focus.

Cheers,

Speranza