[lit-ideas] Re: Fwd: Re: global luke-warming -- addendum

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 22:13:38 -0400

The scenario I've read about is that the melting glaciers will dilute the
salinity of key ocean areas, especially around Greenland, which will change the
underground rivers (they've only been discovered in the last 20 years or so)
that feed the oceans, thereby cooling the Gulf Stream and other major currents.
 Once the ocean currents cool, especially the Gulf Stream, the moderate
temperatures experienced by Europe will begin to cool.  The Gulf Stream
explains why areas that are on the same latitude have vastly different
climates.  I have read that some islands in the Philippines are now under water
from rising sea levels (I posted on that).  Venus is an example of a planet
with runaway greenhouse effect.  No one is predicting that will happen here,
although Carl Sagan once mentioned in his show Cosmos that it can happen on
Earth too.

This link talks about the "Great Conveyor Belt," the way the ocean currents
work to keep the planet the way it is.

http://www.wunderground.com/education/abruptclimate.asp