[lit-ideas] Re: [Fwd: Re: The Soldier as Sacrificial Victim]

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:45:54 -0400

What you're basically saying is that society runs according to myth; Joseph
Campbell's hero.  In reality, soldiers rape and pillage and kill innocents.
They are also only recently held in lower esteem.  Jane Austen's books,
among other literature, overflow with the desirable marriagable officer.
In other words, there is concurrence here that humanity as a group might be
functioning on a level other than the conscicous.  The real question it
seems to me is why we need The Hero so desperately.  Presumably if we
didn't need heroes, we wouldn't need war.  K's point is something along
those lines.

Shirley Temple had a soldier's uniform?  I'm not surprised.  She's so
conservative.