[lit-ideas] Fwd: Re: Re: The police are satisfied

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:59:57 +0100

I first sent this reply to Julie, in error

Jac> I don't understand the Asian bit.  News tonight says the 27
Jac> year old  victim was a Brazilian who did not speak English and
Jac> probably did not understand  the Police directives to stop or be
Jac> shot.

Andreas assumed the man was Asian, so did I.  I hadn't then learned
that he was Brazilian (the police probably held off releasing that
information till they'd 'phoned the Brazilian Embassy).

who did not speak English and
Jac> probably did not understand  the Police directives to stop or be
Jac> shot.

Yes.  Everyone had assumed he was British.

(Addition. He'd been living and working in London for three years.  So
he probably did understand. But the police were undercover, he may
well have thought he was being chased by an armed gang.)

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Best regards,
 Judy                            mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx