[lit-ideas] Re: Fwd: Re: Pound's treason

  • From: Ed Farrell <ewf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 01:22:11 -0800

> On Feb 13, 2015, at 11:32 PM, David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 13, 2015, at 8:06 PM, Edward Farrell wrote:
>>
>> Omar,
>>
>> I think Mike Geary is basically correct, but it is a nuanced issue.  Let's
>> take my example of the bridge one more time (but not as industrial product
>> in Marxist terms), and look at your intent in making the bridge: you made it
>> so the terrorists to whom you sold the nuclear weapons have a ready means of
>> delivering the bomb to a populated area.  So now, insofar as your artifact
>> is related to its creator, it is thoroughly immoral--the product of a
>> criminal, and made for a criminal purpose to boot. Yet after you've been
>> caught and incarcerated and the terrorists thwarted in their purpose, the
>> bridge remains, and can be used to carry innocent citizens to and fro, and
>> no one will much object because the bridge is not, as you put it, "the very
>> expression of personality" of its creator so most needn't associate it with
>> you when they drive over it anyway.
>>
>> Pound wrote these lines in his younger days:
>>
>>  I have heard a wee wind searching
>
> Unusually, I'm going to anticipate JLS:
>
> 1) Can't call a wind wee because wee was originally a reference to weight
> http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=wee
It makes no difference since he is referring to the Wee Wind 16, which is made
by Airstream and since air stream is air in motion 'wee wind' is perfectly
acceptable under any circumstances regardless of your or JLS's objections.
http://vintageairstream.com/photo-archives/1948-wee-wind-16/
Also, a pound is a weight therefore even in the Scottish usage wee is simply a
circular reference to Ezra Pound.

> 2) Pound wasn't Scottish, so saying "wee" is twee or twaddle, or something of
> that ilk
Nothing of the sort; the pound is great currency among Scots and of course
there's no American pound as we know; Pound is therefore as Scottish as haggis
whether for a penny or a pound, regardless of what you or JLS may say.

> 3) Sassoon was also put in the madhouse when some other judgement would have
> been awkward
> 4) My last post of the day isn't "the Last Post"
> 5) To quote Eddie Izzard on fascists, inbreeding and degeneration, "I have no
> idear"
> 6) As Monty Python on Australian philosophy put it, "There is no rule six."
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruces_sketch
>
> David Ritchie
> nearby the ex-governor in
> Portland, Oregon