[lit-ideas] Re: Fwd: Re: Pound's treason

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 23:32:03 -0800

On Feb 13, 2015, at 8:06 PM, Edward Farrell wrote:

> Omar,
>
> I think Mike Geary is basically correct, but it is a nuanced issue.  Let's
> take my example of the bridge one more time (but not as industrial product in
> Marxist terms), and look at your intent in making the bridge: you made it so
> the terrorists to whom you sold the nuclear weapons have a ready means of
> delivering the bomb to a populated area.  So now, insofar as your artifact is
> related to its creator, it is thoroughly immoral--the product of a criminal,
> and made for a criminal purpose to boot. Yet after you've been caught and
> incarcerated and the terrorists thwarted in their purpose, the bridge
> remains, and can be used to carry innocent citizens to and fro, and no one
> will much object because the bridge is not, as you put it, "the very
> expression of personality" of its creator so most needn't associate it with
> you when they drive over it anyway.
>
> Pound wrote these lines in his younger days:
>
>  I have heard a wee wind searching

Unusually, I'm going to anticipate JLS:

1) Can't call a wind wee because wee was originally a reference to weight
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=wee
2) Pound wasn't Scottish, so saying "wee" is twee or twaddle, or something of
that ilk
3) Sassoon was also put in the madhouse when some other judgement would have
been awkward
4) My last post of the day isn't "the Last Post"
5) To quote Eddie Izzard on fascists, inbreeding and degeneration, "I have no
idear"
6) As Monty Python on Australian philosophy put it, "There is no rule six."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruces_sketch

David Ritchie
nearby the ex-governor in
Portland, Oregon