[lit-ideas] Re: Fwd: Re: Pound's treason

  • From: Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 08:19:34 +0000

Hitker had catastrophic taste, from haircuts to music, with the cars somewhat
between tubs of shit and tanks, a true nothing compared to guderian

From: Mike Geary
<jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 3:19 AM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Pound's treason
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks for sending that, Robert.  The conflict between art and artist can be a
sticky wicket, I agree -- especially when it concerns such serious moral
questions as Pound's treason, but even in that case I say condemn the man, not
his art -- his art in my encounter of it then belongs to me and my world. His
crime does not.

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 7:15 PM, Robert Paul
<rpaul@xxxxxxxx<mailto:rpaul@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:
Lawrence quotes from Wikipedia.

In the late 1940s, when the poet Ezra Pound was incarcerated in St. Elizabeth’s
Hospital on treason charges against the US, he corresponded with Mullins. In
their correspondence, Mullins exclaimed "THE JEWS ARE BETRAYING US", in a
letter written on Aryan League of America stationery.

Pound was never convicted of treason. He was found to be of unsound mind,
incapable of understanding the court proceedings or of taking part in his own
defense. Immediately after the trial he was taken to St Elizabeth's Hospital:
'insane.' He remained there for twelve years. (The Federal prosecutors
apparently did not present their case with much vigor.)

I believe the best account of what happened to Pound, after he was arrested by
the US, in Italy, and ended
up in St Elizabeth's, is an article by Robert Wernick. But of course, that's
only what I believe.

<http://www.robertwernick.com/articles/pound.shtml>

Robert Paul