[lit-ideas] Fwd: Re: Hitler/Stalin/nutters/beer

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:59:47 -0700

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: August 14, 2009 11:34:03 AM PDT
To: Walter C. Okshevsky <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lit-ideas] Re: Hitler/Stalin/nutters/beer

On Aug 14, 2009, at 9:21 AM, Walter C. Okshevsky wrote:

Perhaps a bit of conceptual analysis is in order here:

"Thickness" is not a taste, it's a texture. One can taste bananas, dark chocolate, peaches or pumpkin but not thickness (or width, or diameter, etc..)

"Back notes of nuts" is not a well-formed expression. It is, minimally,
ambiguous between, on the one hand, an after-taste of nuts - and here
philosophical propriety requires that we ask whether there is anything common to the taste of nuts, as we do in the case of "games" - and, on the other hand,
a nosing note experienced prior to any tasting or swallowing.

Surely anyone making such elementary errors would have to be some kind of nutter, and thus a true American in Donal's chum's view?

David Ritchie,
Milligan (Spike) Chair with Loose Socks
University of Glass Cow
Also, Norway